[uf-new] Re: hAudio issue: position

Andy Mabbett andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk
Tue Jan 15 05:16:46 PST 2008

On Tue, January 15, 2008 10:08, Michael Smethurst wrote:

> I suspect I've thrown a red herring into the mix with the mention of
> classical music... apologies

I don't think it is a red herring; I think it's quite important that
classical music is taken into account (there is plenty of evidence to show
that it's published, after all); otherwise we'll have hPop, not hAudio.

> My point was really that when a track from an album is played in
> isolation from that album (so on a radio episode tracklist or in a
> personal playlist) the track position on the album is still important
> data. Which means encoding this data as a property of the list ordering
> wouldn't work here. So I'd vote to keep position as a separate attribute

Where's the evidence to show that this is published?

> I threw classical into the mix cos sometimes multiple tracks on an album
> can have the same title (dependent on how the record company has segmented
> the audio). In this case the track number is necessary to disambiguate
> which track was played

Perhaps, but that's also true of pop, rock and other genres, albeit less
common - though there is an album, "The Best of Louie Louie" (Rhino
Records) comprising nothing but versions of 'Louie Louie'.

> In terms of marking up acts and scenes and movements and works and etc
> I'd encourage hAudio to steer well clear. It's a hideous minefield

Surely that shouldn't put us off? Not least because lack of such a
facility may impact on uptake. According to the "process", we should find
a way to mark up what the evidence shows us is published; not just the
easy bits.

> and I suspect hAudio can solve 80% of the problem by avoiding this stuff.

I've never been satisfied that it's OK for 1 in 5 cases to be ignored, or,
worse, wrong.

> For an idea of the complexity I'd point semweb minded people at the fine
> work of Yves Raimond on the music ontology (which incidentally it would be
> nice to see used in the rdf-a hAudio spec):
>
> http://musicontology.com/

Thanks; I'll read that later.

--
Andy Mabbett