[uf-new] Re: Reviving hProduct

Hayes Davis hayes at appozite.com
Mon Jul 7 10:37:12 PDT 2008

I apologize for the cross-posting, but Ben moved this thread to new
right as I was hitting send apparently. In the interest of collecting
the discussion on this topic all in one place, here's what I said on
discuss:

I'm glad to see someone else showing an interest in this. I'd love to
see a product microformat revived as well for an application I'm
working on.

We might want to move this discussion to microformats-dev but I'm not
sure... Anyway, some comments on your proposed changes:
1) The rel="product". Does that really describe the relationship
between this instance/description of the product and the product page?
I'm not sure it does. I get what you're saying though, I think, which
is that this is the "canonical product page".
2) I think the change from an msrp attribute described on the wiki to
a "price" attribute makes sense. I'm not sure about including
"savings" in there. It's not technically the price of the item. It's
more of an "adjustment".
3) What would you see as a value for the availability? I see in your
example this is a text description of how the user can acquire it
(e.g. "in store pickup"). When I initially read that attribute, it
made me think more of an inventory quantity. Might there need to be an
attribute for that as well?
4) As for the URL, I would think that might be better represented as a
rel "purchase" value indicating that the target URI is for purchasing
this item.

Hayes