[uf-new] Metadata/machine-readable data patterns

Christopher St John ckstjohn at gmail.com
Fri Mar 14 07:01:23 PST 2008

On Fri, Mar 14, 2008 at 4:01 AM, Nelson Menezes
<flying.mushroom at gmail.com> wrote:

>  To cut to the chase: why not use <input type="hidden" /> fields to
>  store metadata that must be machine-read within microformats? It would
>  avoid stretching the semantics of existing tags and (I believe) avoid
>  issues with screen readers. Besides, it's what the tag is for...

I'd read:

  http://tantek.com/log/2005/06.html#d03t2359

then spend a bit of time looking through the mailing list and chat logs (google
with site:microformats.org is helpful)

Short version: If you gotta hide stuff (like ISO dates), then hide them very,
very close to the visible representation on the page of the thing you're hiding.
If there's no visible version, then you probably don't want an invisible
version, either. But that's just a fraction of the full argument. If you're
serious about wading in I'd highly suggest doing the reading...

-cks

--
Christopher St. John
http://artofsystems.blogspot.com