[uf-new] Re: Comment Questions

David Janes davidjanes at blogmatrix.com
Sat Nov 15 12:46:19 PST 2008

On Sat, Nov 15, 2008 at 3:01 PM, Martin McEvoy <martin at weborganics.co.uk> wrote:
> Scott Reynen wrote:

>>> I cant answer that David, the discussion needs to be consolidated and
>>> re-thought (the same as this discussion was)
>>

>> I suggest everyone go back and re-examine (and potentially re-state) their
>> proposals in terms of how they address the problem statement for the
>> collected examples.  That common ground seems to have been largely lost in
>> this discussion.  It's easy to start talking around an assumed definition of
>> something as common as a comment, but it's crucial to stay focused on real
>> world examples.
>
> I and Sarven are both staying on topic ie: "a comment" and are just focusing
> on the "real world" examples
>
>> Before proposing markup for nested comments, we should look at examples to
>> see if that's a common pattern.  Before proposing markup for links back to
>> the source, we should look at the examples to see if such links commonly
>> exist.  Maybe everyone has already done this, but it's hard to tell.
>>  Knowing how our own proposals are based in the examples is not enough; for
>> this collaborative effort, we need to explain the connections to everyone
>> else.
>
> Please do not make any proposals towards a nested comment, as this is "off
> topic"
>
> the topic is "a comment" (singular)

Well then you don't need to do anything: hAtom - "a microformat for
content that can be syndicated, primarily but not exclusively weblog
postings" [1] - is sufficient and complete to cover "a comment".

If you're interested in showing the relationship between "a comment"
and what-is-being-commented-on, I opened every single example in
comment-examples [2] and every single one (excepting Haloscan, which
seem to be utterly isolated from posting context) uses document
structure to show the relationship. None that I noticed had a A.href
link that a "rel-in-reply-to" could be hung on to.

Regards, etc...

[1] http://microformats.org/wiki/hatom
[2] http://microformats.org/wiki/comment-examples

--