[uf-new] Re: Comment Questions

Martin McEvoy martin at weborganics.co.uk
Sat Nov 15 15:06:13 PST 2008

examples: http://microformats.org/wiki/comment-examples

http://microformats.org/wiki/comment-examples#Analysis

>> Please do not make any proposals towards a nested comment, as this is
>> "off topic"
>
> Please explain why it's off topic in terms of the examples and the
> problem statement.

See above....

> In a group discussion, being on topic doesn't help much if you're
> unable to get everyone on the same topic.  The collected examples and
> problem statement establish a common basis for discussion.  Let's use it.

we are (I hope?)...

> On [Nov 15], at [ Nov 15] 1:46 , David Janes wrote:
>
>> I opened every single example in
>> comment-examples [2] and every single one (excepting Haloscan, which
>> seem to be utterly isolated from posting context) uses document
>> structure to show the relationship. None that I noticed had a A.href
>> link that a "rel-in-reply-to" could be hung on to.

David, 40% of the examples used have a permalink something like this

http://someblog.com/post#comment-001

A hash uri reference

rel="reply" can be hung on this link because the url tells us two things

1,  the origional post, http://someblog.com/post
2,  and the location of the comment,  comment-001

by defining TWO dereferenceable URI's  one using a slash uri scheme
http://someblog.com/post  => rel="reply"
and the other using a hash URI scheme
http://someblog.com/post#comment-001 => rel="bookmark"

and combining them rel="reply bookmark"

This can be used to say that a hAtom entry is a Comment, nothing more is
needed,  It wouldn't therefore be difficult for any "future" hatom
parser to extract just the comments because all it has to do is look for
the hentry's that have a rel-reply link, this is (in my view) the
simplest option for a comment format, nothing else is needed, and its
fairly low on the cognitive load,  nesting feeds, this simply is not
anything to do with "a comment" sorry.

> This is what I think we need to do more.  Even if you still disagree,
> I hope you can see how David making his argument in terms of the
> examples makes his points easier for everyone to discuss.

?

Thanks

> --
> Scott Reynen