[uf-new] Comments proposals

Martin McEvoy martin at weborganics.co.uk
Mon Nov 17 12:39:31 PST 2008

Hello Toby

Toby A Inkster wrote:
> David Janes wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 9:42 AM, Martin McEvoy <martin at
>> weborganics.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>  *  reply[1] (comment-link) 60%
>> >  o By adding "rel-reply" the author is indicating that the page
>> > http://someblog/post#comment-001 is a reply for the referring page
>> (see
>> > example).
>

> Martin, you've explained this a few times on the list, and I have to
> admit, this is the first time I've "got it". Yes, this does make sense
> as a solution. rel="reply bookmark" would be even better.
Thank you toby, yes it would make sense to add rel-bookmark too, I just
wanted to highlight the proposal ;-)

> I still think rel="in-reply-to" has merit - the cases where it
> overtakes the other solutions in usefulness are of limited number, but
> they do exist. (See Jason's recent message.) In some situations,
> admittedly many which go beyond the "normal" definitions of comment
> systems, the other solutions just don't cut it. If this is going
> beyond the scope of the comments project, then perhaps it is the scope
> that is too narrow?
I am beginning to think that the scope is a little narrow, but I think
that (for now) If we (the community) attempt to solve the simplest
problem(just a comment),  in a way that everyone can agree on, then that
will give us room to expand the scope a little more to include other
situations.

[some edits...]

> <a rel="reply" href="http://someblog/post#comment-001">link to this</a>
>
> Means:
>
> <http://someblog/post> has a reply <http://someblog/post#comment-001>

I couldn't have put it better myself, I will add the above to the
proposal if that is ok?

Thanks

--
Martin McEvoy