[uf-new] Issue HP6 - P-V seems like a catch-all for hProduct

Paul Lee (이기수) paullee at google.com
Wed Feb 18 15:00:24 PST 2009

IIUC, part of the reason why hproduct has been under discussion for
quite awhile is b/c of the debate between p-v vs. more defined
attributes.  p-v is quite helpful b/c the attributes users care about
change over time.  Take cameras, for instance.  Did anyone care about
megapixels 10 years ago? etc.

On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 1:19 AM, David Janes <davidjanes at blogmatrix.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 1:12 AM, Manu Sporny <msporny at digitalbazaar.com> wrote:
>> http://microformats.org/wiki/hproduct-issues#HP6_-_P-V_seems_like_a_catch-all_for_hProduct
>>

>> hProduct currently allows the author to use the P-V pattern for anything
>> that doesn't fit neatly into hProduct. While it is true that this is a
>> nice way to expand hProduct and see where future versions of hProduct
>> might need to be expanded, there is a danger that over-use of the P-V
>> pattern will result in weird issues between future Microformats.
>>
>> For example, if hProduct lists a number of P-Vs and another Microformat
>> starts using P-V heavily, there will be clashes between the overlapping
>> Microformats. These clashes will result in the wrong P-Vs being assigned
>> to the wrong object.
>>
>> It also seems a bit sloppy - using P-V may be a clear sign that the
>> problem being solved isn't small enough, or that you're attempting to
>> boil the oceans in a clever way. Anybody else have some thoughts about
>> the use or abuse of P-V in Microformats?
>
> I got hung up on this one too, wrote a post, deleted it. Thoughts:
>
> 1) my thinking is that the "semanticness" doesn't go down to the P and
> V, that we know that products have lists of property and values but at
> this level we _attach no meaning to the terms_ beyond the fact that
> they are there. And later on, if we decide (e.g.) that "Number of
> Wheels"/"4" has standardizable meaning, we can define
> "number-of-wheels" and add that as class value.
> 2) is this just not a DL? we are fine with that...
> 3) why not use a DL? I note alternatively that hAtom allows both H#
> and entry-title.
>
> Regards, etc...
>
> --
> David Janes