[uf-new] hProduct issues HP1-HP7

Martin McEvoy martin at weborganics.co.uk
Wed Feb 18 17:42:17 PST 2009

Great start on a product microformat Paul,

Martin McEvoy wrote:
> + 1 from me on all  issues HP1-HP7
>
> To be honest one of the issues highlighted by Manu,  the "p-v"
> property I don't quite understand ... what does it "mean" ?  the lack
> of examples and data concerns me too sorry.

OK I do understand  "p-v"  "property" - "value" what I don't understand
is how I am supposed to use it?.....

<h5 class="p-v">by <span class="property artist">Tenacious D</span></h5>

why doesn't this work?

 <h5 class="vcard">by <span class="fn>Tenacious D</span></h5>

also

class="value"><abbr title="2006-11-14T12:00:01-05:00">November 14,

huh?

see: http://microformats.org/wiki/datetime-design-pattern

<abbr class="released" title="2006-11-14T12:00:01-05:00">November 14,
2006</abbr>

looks better?

see http://microformats.org/wiki/hproduct#Examples_in_Production for example

Also the example is a bit complex  how about some minimal markup first?
it might help us all get a grip of the basics first.

I think a product microformat is a good idea but you have to think a
little more micro, which is simple, minimal and only covers the most
commonly used properties occurring 80% or more of the time based on
solid examples that illustrate your problem precisely. Once you have
worked out what that is ask yourself has any of this been done before?
no! that doesn't mean with just microformats Manu is the key developer
of haudio and ended up finding that what he wanted to do would be much
more practical in RDFa  it sounds a bit off putting but look elsewhere
FIRST ...still not happy then we can talk about a microformat.

have a look at http://microformats.org/wiki/principles
and http://microformats.org/wiki/process

understand them (I'm not saying you don't) they offer some really good
guidance on what to do next.

Best wishes.

--
Martin McEvoy

http://weborganics.co.uk/

"You may find it hard to swallow the notion that anything as large and apparently inanimate as the Earth is alive."
Dr. James Lovelock, The Ages of Gaia