[uf-new] re: Microformats support for aggregate reviews

Toby A Inkster mail at tobyinkster.co.uk
Wed Feb 25 11:06:32 PST 2009

Othar Hansson wrote:

> Why don't we just define a trivial microformat "aggregate", which
> contains one value "count", and can wrap any other microformat?  The
> fields of the wrapped microformat get a new meaning: any given field
> is meant to be an aggregate of all the other data associated with the
> page.  E.g., a hypothetical price field should contain a price range.
> A rating field should contain an aggregrate rating.

But how are things to be aggregated? In some cases (like hReview's
"rating"), the aggregate might be the numerical mean of the
individuals. For other fields, the median, the mode or the range
might be more suitable. For yet others, perhaps it would be desirable
to see the sum of the individuals.

For example, say you're creating an aggregate hCalendar event. Using
an average dtstart and dtend is probably not very useful, but taking
the earliest dtstart and latest dtend might be.

--
Toby A Inkster
<mailto:mail at tobyinkster.co.uk>