One issue per thread (was: Re: [uf-new] hProduct issues HP1-HP7)

Tantek Çelik tantek at cs.stanford.edu
Fri Feb 27 18:48:20 PST 2009

On Sun, Feb 22, 2009 at 6:50 PM, Manu Sporny <msporny at digitalbazaar.com> wrote:

> Could you please explain why it's better to discourage per-issue threads
> on the mailing list and instead direct people to the wiki? Why are we
> discouraging one form of recorded communication over another?

I have written up a page that explains some of the reasons behind the
microformats community's preference for using the wiki instead of
email:

http://microformats.org/wiki/wiki-better-than-email

On Sun, Feb 22, 2009 at 6:50 PM, Manu Sporny <msporny at digitalbazaar.com> wrote:
> Tantek Celik wrote:
>> Please follow-up on the wiki and also one email announcing a batch
>> of new issues is sufficient. Let's try to keep emails to a minimum
>> for notification only, and capture discussion/iteration on the wiki.
>
> The reason I put each of these in a separate e-mail is to separate
> issues out into manage-able threads of discussion. I do admit that it's
> a personal preference, but threaded discussion seems to be a fairly
> accepted method of working through spec issues.

Email-centric threaded discussion is fairly accepted method in many
other standards communities/organizations (W3C, IETF). Per
http://microformats.org/wiki/wiki-better-than-email#tradition , this
has been different in the microformats community from the start of
microformats, and deliberately so.

Thanks,

Tantek