[uf-new] Re: One issue per thread

Manu Sporny msporny at digitalbazaar.com
Sat Feb 28 07:49:52 PST 2009

Myers, Jay wrote:
> Would it be a reasonable request for a new discussion list for
> people who would like to address issues in this way, with the
> condition that they summarize discussions on the wiki?

I thought that was what this mailing list was for? At least, that's how
we were operating during hAudio development.

Here's another idea (that would take months to implement), just thinking
out loud:

Problem:

We are not capturing all of the conversations surrounding each
Microformats spec in a way that:

 - Can be automatically associated with a specification on the wiki.
 - Can be searched quickly for answers.
 - Works with different workflows (IRC+wiki) and (e-mail+wiki)

What would be really great is a mechanism where we could do
sub-subscriptions, so that you could create a set of filters for "things
I am not interested in". So, you would subscribe to microformats-new and
then provide filters for things that you are not interested in (hCard,
hAudio, etc.)

It would give us finer-grain control over what we're exposed to as
mailing list participants. Tying this into IRC so that we could choose
to get a daily log of IRC conversations related to each topic area would
be great as well. That way, we get daily/weekly updates from IRC that
have a good subscriber-specific signal-to-noise ratio.

Perhaps if somebody could hack together an IRC-like mechanism (using
HTML5's canvas feature) and tie it into the microformats.org wiki to
provide a synchronous communication mechanism with logging support. The
logs for all hAudio channels (IRC and mailing list) would be tied to the
hAudio wiki page.

People could filter out each sub-topic as they pleased and these
discussions would be a part of the living documentation for the spec.
All conversations are auto-sorted into their respective logging area on
the wiki.

The only problem with this approach is that it would take a very long
time to develop/implement.

Manu Sporny
President/CEO - Digital Bazaar, Inc.
blog: Scaling Past 100,000 Concurrent Web Service Requests
http://blog.digitalbazaar.com/2008/09/30/scaling-webservices-part-1