[uf-new] nutrition-facts in XHTML

Martin McEvoy martin at weborganics.co.uk
Wed Jul 22 07:53:56 PDT 2009

Hello Christian Welcome to the List

Haeringer, Christian wrote:
> Hey everybody,
>
> I am looking for a possibility to publish and embed nutrition-facts in XHTML.

Great Idea!
> There is already an element called "nutrition" in the hRecipe draft specification. It would be useful to create a new elemental format for it. Like this could be integrated in compounds like hProduct.

I agree, but first you should look at the Measure proposal
http://microformats.org/wiki/measure.

I believe much of what you are requiring is "possible" with hmeasure I
suspect, but I am not an expert but some examples of how it  could be
used in your case are:

A basic example:

  span class="type">Vitamin C</span>

a little more expanded version may be:

  <a title="Recommended Dietary Allowance" rel="glossary"
href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dietary_Reference_Intake">RDA</a>

> Thus, I would like to propose a new microformat for nutrition-facts.

Maybe you could first add your examples to this  page:

http://microformats.org/wiki/measure-examples

First it will allow other developers to see more clearly what your needs
are and also you will start to discover reoccurring patterns specific to
nutritional measures, If there are (which I am sure there is) specific
problems with-in the Nutritional facts domain then perhaps you can start
proposing expanding the measure schema with the newly discovered
elements on this page:

http://microformats.org/wiki/measure-brainstorming

> There is a group of nutrition-facts, called the “Big 8” (the energy value, the amount of protein, carbohydrate, sugar, fat, saturated fatty acids, dietary fibre and sodium), which is often published with many products due to a Council Directive of the European Union. For this reason there are countless examples for this type of data.

Nice opening statement by the way ;)

Best wishes

--
Martin McEvoy