[uf-new] Microformats for hidden data

Scott Reynen scott at makedatamakesense.com
Thu Nov 26 10:33:55 PST 2009

On Nov 26, 2009, at 10:33 AM, Fiann O'Hagan wrote:

> Do you have any real-world examples of RDFa being published?

It seems to me the scarcity of real-world examples is a drawback
inherent in what you're trying to do, not specific to RDFa.  I'd note
you also have no real-world examples of your own data being published
in HTML.  You need to use something like RDFa because you have
invisible data you want to put in HTML.  RDFa is complex largely
because it handles invisible data in HTML.  People don't widely use
RDFa because they find it too complex.

Calling it a "microformat" wouldn't somehow remove the complexity of
publishing invisible data in a format focused on visible data.  If
anything, it would just make things more difficult, because the
microformats community is largely composed of people who have
intentionally avoided the problem you're trying to solve, many of whom
believe it to be unsolvable.

--
Scott Reynen
MakeDataMakeSense.com