[uf-new] Is including profiles a must?

Tantek Çelik tantek at cs.stanford.edu
Wed Jun 27 00:07:04 PDT 2012

On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 9:57 AM, Ian Yang <ian.html at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks Tantek.
>
> Frankly speaking, the current approach to reference microformats.org
> vocabularies is a bit inconvenient for user because it involves adding
> new attribute to the <head> element or adding extra elements (<link>
> or <a>). So maybe you could make it like how microdata does it (ex:
> <section itemscope itemtype="http://data-vocabulary.org/Person">).

This is reasonable feedback and mirrors reasons behind the in-progress
HTML5 "profile" attribute proposal:

http://microformats.org/wiki/html5-profile

Which with you could for example say:

<section class="vcard" profile="http://microformats.org/profile/hcard">

If that's useful to you (to be able to explicitly state the
profile/vocabulary you're using), then that helps provide incentive to
continue iterating on html5-profile draft - please take a look at it.

Thanks,

Tantek