[uf-rest] Indexable AHAH pages - <link>?

Dr.Ernie Prabhakar drernie at opendarwin.org
Sat Dec 24 10:44:10 PST 2005

Well, while waiting for someone with better information to answer my
question, I did a little research on Google.  No hard answers, but a
few interesting data points.

1.  One option is to manually submit the relevant pages via a SiteMap:
SiteMaps: http://www.smart-it-consulting.com/article.htm?
node=133&largePage=TRUE

However, that implies making those links visible to humans, which
would be confusing.

2.  Google apparently searches *some* <link> entries, despite sorta
saying it doesn't:
http://www.google.com/webmasters/bot.html#whatlinks
> 12. What kinds of links does Googlebot follow?
>
> Googlebot follows HREF links and SRC links.
>
> 16. How do I add my feed to the search results for Google's
> personalized homepage and Google Reader?
>
> The feeds that Googlebot crawls appear in the search results for
> Google's personalized homepage and Google Reader. To ensure that
> your feed is part of this index, add a <link> tag to the header of
> your webpage to enable feed autodiscovery.
Still, it could mean that Google (and other services) only follow
"feed" links. Any search engine gurus in the audience?

3. It does raise the question -- if one *does* link AHAH pages from
the parent page, what is the proper "rel" attribute?

http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/REC-html401-19991224/types.html#type-links

> Chapter
> Refers to a document serving as a chapter in a collection of
> documents.
> Section
> Refers to a document serving as a section in a collection of
> documents.
> Subsection
> Refers to a document serving as a subsection in a collection of
> documents.
"subsection" seems a natural designation for an AHAH page -- since it
is morally equivalent to a portion of the current page -- but is that
the really right semantics?  Is it worth defining a new profile for
this usage?  Or should this not be in the <link> section at all?

-- Ernie P.