[uf-rest] Interface(s) first, implementation second?

Max Voelkel dev at xam.de
Tue Nov 15 10:21:17 PST 2005

Hi all,

 I've been following most of the discussion with big pleasure, but one
 question never went out of my head:

 Shouldn't we first __agree on URI structure and XML formats__ to transmit
 and then discuss how it is implemented in Ruby, Python, Java, ...

 I believe, we should have easy to use interfaces for developers. Of
 course we should also have libaries to facilitate the usage of these
 resty services, but we shouldn't make the interfaces to complicated
 that you can't live without the tools. Even AJAX clients should be
 able to use the interface and browsers should display some
 meanningful content.

 Sidenote: We have still XSLT on our tool stack to do some work, so we
 could e.g. return plain xml but with an XSLT attached to render as
 XHTML which in turn is formatted via CSS.

Kind regards,

  Max Völkel
--
Dipl.-Inform. Max Völkel
University of Karlsruhe, AIFB, Knowledge Management Group