[uf-rest] Sitemaps as service descriptions

Dan Kubb dan.kubb-rails at autopilotmarketing.com
Tue Nov 15 15:47:36 PST 2005

On 8-Nov-05, at 5:29 PM, Mark Rickerby wrote:

> I was looking at some of the stuff on the wiki, and came across this:
>
> http://microformats.org/wiki/rest/description
>
> While I think I tend to agree that a REST description language isn't
> really needed, I was wondering if there could already be a standard
> existing in terms of sitemap navigation pages.

This reminded me of the Google Sitemap Protocol:

   https://www.google.com/webmasters/sitemaps/docs/en/protocol.html

The purpose of this format was to instruct Google Bot where
the resources on your site are and how frequently each of
them changes.

> The sitemap would point to the overall structure of resources (nouns),
> allowing agents to do the rest at the verb/form level.

Right.  There's no need to specify what verbs the resources can
handle, just do an OPTIONS request to the resource and look
at the Allow response header to see which methods are supported.

--

Thanks,

Dan

Dan Kubb                  Email: dan.kubb at autopilotmarketing.com
Autopilot Marketing Inc.  Phone: 1 (604) 820-0212
                             Web: http://www.autopilotmarketing.com