[uf-rest] Roy Fielding on WebDAV and PROPs

Breton Slivka zen at zenpsycho.com
Tue Apr 11 22:14:38 PDT 2006

I have to admit that I am now finding this conversation is slightly
more over my head than I thought. (though it's becoming a lot clearer
to me since my last response). I should probably quit while I'm still
ahead. However, I would like to clarify a few things.

Even in the matrix capacity, isn't the semi colon still being used as
a mechanism to access properties? If you use x,y, and scale
parameters on a map URI, are you not accessing the properties at
those coordinates for the map object? The only difference I see is in
the number of dimensions. If you're looking for a key=value property
within an object it's merely a slight shift in syntax, say    http://
server/object;prop=title;  where prop represents the axis, and title
is a coordinate in that axis.

A list of properties can be just another property. indeed, according
to RDF a statement about a resource is a resource in itself. I see
your point about potential naming collisions when trying to implement
on a site which already uses the semicolon to access some properties,
but then if we were worried about naming collisions we wouldn't
bother with microformats.

All I propose to be a "standard" (better word would be convention) is
the name of the property which would contain a list of properties.
This is not too extreme I think. That way instead of PROPFIND being a
method which prevents resources from having URI's, it becomes a
resource with its own URI.

So   GET http://server/object;proplist  becomes its replacement.

does that make sense?