[uf-rest] Roy Fielding on WebDAV and PROPs

Mark Nottingham mnot at yahoo-inc.com
Fri Apr 14 13:47:44 PDT 2006

There are also cases where;

-- you need to know the metadata before you access the data (e.g.,
spidering policy, privacy policy, access control policy)
-- for performance reasons, digging through content is impractical
(e.g., in intermediaries)
-- for administrative manageability and efficiency on both ends, it's
more practical to work with metadata for more than one resource at a
time

That doesn't mean that in-document metadata isn't the bees knees,
just that it isn't a complete solution.