[uf-rest] REST opacity and URL schemes.

David Heinemeier Hansson david at loudthinking.com
Sat Apr 22 21:51:26 PDT 2006

> * If "/books/4" represents the "record", the PUT would need to
> contain _everything_ about that record; synthesizing additional
> fields (like last modified) seems like 'cheating', and inconsistent
> with PUT semantics

Could you tell me what other resources than http://www.w3.org/
Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec9.html expand on this interpretation of
PUT? My naive reading of 9.6 PUT seems to be that it talks all about
updating and modifying. Not necessarily only complete replacements.
But I'm new here, so perhaps I just have an incomplete picture.

I will say that PUT would seem a ton more useful if it didn't have as
strict a usage pattern as you imply. If that's the case, PUT seems to
be unusable for most web application purposes. And if that's the
case, I really question whether its worth doing other-verbs-over-post
mapping at all in Rails. Doesn't seem worth the trouble just to get
DELETE.
--
David Heinemeier Hansson
http://www.37signals.com    -- Basecamp, Backpack, Writeboard, Tada