[uf-rest] RESTified Rails Controller (take 2)

Dr. Ernie Prabhakar drernie at opendarwin.org
Fri Feb 3 12:28:22 PST 2006

Hi all,

On Feb 3, 2006, at 12:20 PM, Dan Kubb wrote:

> Once I get it working and tested I'll package it up as a plugin.

Go Dan! Woot!

>> Have you had any epiphanies about how to handle multiple
>> representations/views of the same resource?
>
> Nothing rock solid yet. I do know I'd like to try to keep the
> controller code the same regardless of the representation. Any
> view specific code would likely be placed in the template or in a
> helper library. I do know I'll probably use a form of Content
> Negotiation to choose the view, where the Accept* headers will be
> used to decide what representation to return.

My personal thinking is that this would be best implemented using
partials and the default templates.  I've been wanting to experiment
with some ways to make this all work; perhaps when Dan's plugin is
available, I'll be able to spend some time on this.

Is there a summary of how David's RESTifarian compares with Dan's
plug-in? And Dan, could you please choose an easier-to-spell
name? :-) My vote is for "rex", as in REST-Enabled XHTML.

Thanks all!  Nice to see some activity after the break...

-- Ernie P.