[uf-rest] ahah/xhtml and meta tags

Justin Maxwell soc at code404.com
Wed Jan 4 09:45:50 PST 2006

Hi all,

First post to the microformats list.  Many thanks to Ernie for
turning my attention to this.

In my AHAH-driven application, the user accesses 200+ pages of small
descriptive content in individual xhtml pages.  Since the URLs of
these pages, although driven through the AHAH mechanism, are publicly
accessible and therefore indexable by search engines, I've included
meta tags in the head.

These meta tags include content-type, content-language, expires,
author, home, index, and a refresh (in conjunction with a js
redirect).  The redirects (js + meta) aren't executed when accessed
via xmlhttprequest, but they are when a user hits the page directly.

So, on to my issue.

When the pages are loaded in via AHAH, so are the metas.  I can
remove them via node manipulation, but I'd rather not have to add
that step.  If the user selects all in firefox, then chooses "view
selected source", he/she will see meta tags nested in the middle of
page content.

1. Does this present a problem to accessibility?
2. Does this present a problem to functionality?
3. Should this set a precedent for the use of meta tags in AHAH
source content?
(4. Is this the right forum for this discussion?)

Thanks in advance,
Justin Maxwell