[uf-rest] AHAH! Not yet.

Ernest Prabhakar prabhaka at apple.com
Wed Jan 4 15:43:19 PST 2006

On Jan 4, 2006, at 3:18 PM, Dr. Ernie Prabhakar wrote:
> Hmm. What if you added 'id=body' to your inner HTML, and try that
> first?  Would that eliminate the extra tags? That seems clearer,
> and at least doesn't complicate the API.

Doh! My bad, I didn't pay close enough attention to the goal of using
responseText vs. responseXML.

Given that, the choice is between:

a) giving up going to responseXML

b) Manually parsing responseText to strip out unwanted tags

c) Living with some messy link/meta tags sprinkled in the HTML

Frankly, given those choices, I'm starting to lean more towards (c);
at least link and meta have no body text, so they'll be invisible.
And any overhead for the browser is probably way less than it would
take for JavaScript to parse it.

True, it would look strange for any poor soul reading the source, but
anybody crazy enough to do that would probably enjoy the weirdness. ;-)

Or am I overlooking something else?

-- Ernie P.