[uf-rest] Microformats for <form> ?

Mark Nottingham mnot at mnot.net
Tue Mar 21 08:55:57 PST 2006

On 2006/03/20, at 12:20 PM, Ryan King wrote:

> Also, html forms could be useful for documenting the parameters
> available on rest resources. Mixed with microformats, as above,
> this could be a very useful way to document a rest api. It would
> cover much the same territory as WADL, but in a web-native way
> which can be very useful to developers, as the forms are a
> functional sandbox.

Is that really the case? A form seems almost like a choreography to
me (although I'm fairly ignorant of that world); i.e., it tells you
how to do one task, rather than document the whole interface.

E.g., if I have a resource that accepts GET, POST, PUT and DELETE,
the form is probably only going to tickle one of those methods... You
could put together a set of forms that covered all of the ground, of
course, but for some tasks, that's pretty clunky.