relProperty Re: [uf-rest] Roy Fielding on WebDAV and PROPs

Breton Slivka zen at zenpsycho.com
Fri May 5 18:01:35 PDT 2006

On May 5, 2006, at 5:46 PM, Dr. Ernie Prabhakar wrote:

> Interesting.  I think the challenge with RDF historically is *not*
> so much its _lack_ of sufficiently powerful functionality, but more
> the "embarrassment of riches."  The goal of relProperty is to do
> something that is:
> a) brain-dead simple
> b) trivially insert-able in vanilla, validate-able HTML
> c) easily accessed/updated via standard HTTP methods
>
> I made a note about that on the wiki:
>
> http://microformats.org/wiki/rest/property#relProperty
>>
>> Are you talking about listing each property seperately in their
>> own link statement? Or a link to a file describing the URI schema
>> in use for the properties of that page?
>
> The former, I think; otherwise, it becomes difficult to "identify
> each individually update-able resource with its own URI."
> Clarified at: http://microformats.org/wiki/rest/property#

The reason I ask is this then sounds suspiciously like the meta tag
with some server updating code tacked on.

>>> = Open Issues =
>>>
>>> * Can properties be chained together? If so, are they retrieved
>>> in parallel, or would those be subproperties?
>>> * Would we need to worry about [http://lists.evolt.org/archive/
>>> Week-of-Mon-20020114/065707.html semicolon exploits]?
>>> * Are there other conventions we should follow/avoid?
>>> * Should the "Link:" tag itself be declared in HTTP "OPTIONS"?
>>
>> issue  1:   It depends on whether our metadata is going to be flat
>> or heirarchical I suppose. if it's the latter, semicolon may not
>> be the best choice for use in a URL schema, as it presents a
>> number of technical problems.
>
> Well, I would recommend flat, at least to start with.  However, I'm
> not clear why ";" creates hierarchy problems?  My gut-level
> interpretation would be:
>
> 	;prop1;prop2 are chained properties
> 	;prop1/subprop1 is a "hierarchical" property
>
> That is, we just reuse the existing HTML hierarchy separator.  What
> would be the problem with that?

Ambiguity

http://example.org/test/books;citation/author=Breton;title=example

is author a subproperty of citation, or a  subdirectory of books? Is
title a child of citation, or a child of books?