BrightKite SMS syntax
Brightkite's mobile commands are available on their text message reference guide page.
Brightkite's text messaging functionality is available on AT&T, Sprint, Nextel, T-Mobile®, Boost, Alltel and Suncom.
There are 2 ways to opt-in your mobile device:
- Specify your phone number when you sign up, or on your account screen.
- Send @place (for example, @Denver, CO) to 80289 in the US, or +44 7624 805707 outside the US.
- @place: check in at an address or business. e.g. @1026 Valencia St, San Francisco, CA or Ritual ROasters. Shorter forms can sometimes work too, e.g. 1026 Valencia St, SF CA
- MARK newplacemark: creates placemark newplacemark for your currently checked in location. e.g. MARK ritro
- @placemark: check in at a placemark. Note: you must have previously defined it. e.g. @ritro
- JOIN username: Checks you in at the same location as the specified user.
- SAY: message Posts a note to your current place.
- ! message: posts a message to your currently checked in location. e.g. !the line is out the door. Shortcut for "SAY" command.
- POSTPHOTO: Gets instructions on how to post a photo to your current place.
- NOTES: Lists notes posted at your current place.
- PHOTOS: Lists photos posted at your current place.
- WHO: Lists any other users checked in at your current place.
- PASTVISITORS: Lists users that have previously checked in at your current place.
- MARK placemark: Gives your current place the specified placemark.
- UNMARK placemark: Deletes the specified placemark.
- LEAVE: Checks you out from your current place.
Users & Friends
- MSG username message: Sends a direct message to the specified user.
- M username message: Shortcut for "MSG". Sends direct message to a specified user
- FRIEND username: Sends a friend request to the specified user.
- UNFRIEND username: Unfriends the specified user.
- BLOCK username: Blocks the specified user and prevents them from seeing your checkins or posts.
- UNBLOCK username: Unblocks the specified user.
- NUDGE username: Sends a message to the specified user encouraging them to check in.
- WHERE username: Finds out where the specified user is currently checked in.
- WHEREAMI: Tells you where you're currently checked in.
- PROFILE username: Gets the specified user's profile.
- SETPROFILE text: Sets your profile to the specified text.
- NAME username: Changes your username.
Privacy & Notifications
- PUBLIC: Sets your privacy mode to public.
- PRIVATE: Sets your privacy mode to private.
- ON: Turns notifications on.
- OFF: Turns notifications off.
- NN: Show current nearby notification settings.
- NN ON: Turn on nearby notifications.
- NN OFF: Turn off nearby notifications.
- NN ALL: Set nearby notifications to apply to all activity within nearby radius.
- NN FRIENDS: Set nearby notifications to only apply to friend activity within nearby radius.
- NN CLOSE: Set nearby notifications radius to 20 meters.
- NN BLOCK: Set nearby notifications radius to 200 meters.
- NN NEIGHBORHOOD: Set nearby notifications radius to 2000 meters.
- NN AREA: Set nearby notifications radius to 4000 meters.
- HELP: Provides general help
- COMMANDS: Provides help on what commands are available, etc.
- STOP: Disables your account and asks you to confirm before deleting
- STOP ALL: delete your Brightkite account, including all content that you've created