hCalendar Examples in the wild
This page is an informative section of the hCalendar specification.
The following sites have published events using hCalendar, and thus are a great place to start for anyone looking for examples "in the wild" to try parsing, indexing, organizing etc.
If events on your site are marked up with hCalendar, feel free to add it to the top of this list. Please be sure to include at least one URL of a page on your site that includes actual hCalendar markup. Examples added without the URL of a page with hCalendar markup may be removed.
Want to get started with writing an hCalendar event? Use the hCalendar creator to write up an event and publish it, or follow the hCalendar authoring tips to add hCalendar markup to your page of upcoming events or events you mention in blog posts, wikis, etc.
Don't forget that you can add one of our buttons to the page, to indicate the presence of hCalendar microformats. For example: . If you can link it back to hCalendar (or even page on your website, about your use of the microformat), so much the better!
Please add new examples to the top of this section.
- America-Nepal Friendship Society uses hCalendar for its program events
- Friends of the Children, New York - uses hCalendar for upcoming fundraising events
- Example here: Events
- www.depechemode.de - uses hCalendar for events in the party guide
- Example here: Depeche Mode Parties
- last.fm - uses hCalendar on all concert announcements.
- Example here: Rise Against at Arena, Wien
- Radio Times - now mark up all their radio and TV listings.
- Dutch Chamber Choir uses hCalendar to notify visitors of their tour schedule.
- Cloud Islands uses hCalendar to notify our customers about the conferences we'll be attending.
- UNT International uses hCalendar for events (see esp. International Week 2007 Event Calendar)
- The Lopez Island Historical Society and Museum uses hCalendar for events
- Future of Web Apps London lists its schedule in hcalendar.
- Leicester YHA Group's programme page uses hCalendar and hCard to mark up forthcoming events and their organisers.
- Wadhurst Independent Photography events lists forthcoming events in hCalendar format.
- XLNTads-development schedule has their project development schedule timeline marked up in hcal (as well as contacts in hCard)
- Jaama have their event details as iCal downloads on their workshops page.
- 3AM Productions has employee education (Jason, Gilbert) marked up in hCalendar
- The New England Antique Tractor & Truck Association (of all sites) has their 15 upcoming events marked up in hCalendar (as well as contacts in hCard and classifieds in hListing)
- Diarised is a quick and simple online tool to help pick the best time for a meeting, uses hCalendar for meeting information.
- etnies.com uses hCalendar on each sports home page (etniesskate.com) and the calendar of events page.
- La maison des associations de Strasbourg uses hCalendar on event pages.
- NuggetsHoops , an NBA fansite, uses hCalendar for each remaining game in the current season.
- WikEvent aims to make it as easy as possible to put events on the web with semantic markup, including hCalendar for events and hCard for venues and artists.
- The Fundy Film Society uses hCalendar for their calendar of upcoming film screenings.
- Psychology Press and Routledge's Behavioral Sciences' publishing division have implemented hCalendar on their conferences listings on 17 of their websites (example on the conference listing on their Clinical Psychology Arena)
- Jewish High Tech Community uses hCalendar on event pages.
- Gore-Tex "Know What's Inside" tour dates in hCalendar by csarven
- Finetoothcog uses hCalendar to markup when bikes are stolen.
- Urban Body Men's Clothing uses hCalendar for business hours and hCard for business locations.
- The website of the Faculty of Computer Science, "A. I. Cuza" University Iaşi, Romania, uses hCalendar to markup events.
- Colin Crosby Heritage Tours uses hCalendar to markup events.
- Facebook use hCalendar to markup events.
- Newbury College UK uses a smattering of hCalendar and hCard
- 07.pagesd.info uses hCalendar and hCard to mark up events of the ArdÃ¨che dÃ©partement in France.
- Stephanie Booth announced the Bloggy Friday for October 2006 using hCalendar.
- The West Midland Bird Club, in the English Midlands, uses hCal (with nested hCard) on its diary of birding events.
- ComTec audience response systems' press releases use hCalendar as a method to organize by title and date.
- The Web Directions Conference (Sydney Australia) uses hCalendar for their program. It uses axis and headers for events in a table, and demonstrates how easy it is to make the whole thing downloadable using X2V.
- The Street Theatre (Canberra, Australia) now uses hCalendar for performances on its What's On page.
- Clackmannanshire Council uses hCalendar on its event diary listing pages and individual event pages.
- Calendarportal MarkThisDate.com now uses hCalendar for all calendars. On our website visitors can add calendars and download calendars to Outlook, Lotus Notes, iCal, Netvibes, 30Boxes, Google Calendar and many others. Over 600 calendars were already uploaded.
- mogue uses hCalendar at event detail pages.
- 2006 Nobel Conference uses hCalendar for the conference schedule
- Geek in the Park uses hCalendar for the event information. -- by trovster
- official site of BesanÃ§on (France) for its events
- Conference schedule for d.Construct 2006 is published using hCalendar.
- Yahoo Local now supports hCalendar
- We used hcalendar for the Fâparade flyer 2006, a counter demonstration to the Love Parade in Berlin, alas the Firefox tails extension doesn't get a summary when it's an alt-text in an image.
- Harper Adams University College uses hCalendar to mark up all University events on the Homepage and Events Calendar page.
- Capital University uses hCalendar on multiple pages to provide feeds of events, relevant to page content
- The Session events uses hCalendar to mark up concerts, festivals and workshops related to Irish traditional music.
- ncl.rb uses hCalendar to mark up new meetings.
- GROSSUG Calendar - Uses hCalendar to mark up meetings and other events.
- Web Analytics Association - hCalendar microformat is in place on all Tendenci sites on the calendar events search page and consolidated list page.
- Tendenci Calendar Events with hCalendar
- Web2.0 Conference in Dublin hCalendar event
- Meetup.com has marked up city event calendars, group event lists, and signed-in homepages with hCalendar.
- ukwindsurfing.com has marked upcoming events with hCalendar, and the events page in a table.
- ocono.com has marked up it's "Upcoming Events" list with hCalendar.
- Austin Bloggers has marked up their "Upcoming Events" box with hCalendar (announcement).
- Ning's cloneable Group app has hCalendar markup on its event calendar and event detail pages.
- Agenda: W3C Technical Plenary Day, March 1 2006 has hCard and hCalendar markup. (original here).
- The National Arbor Day Foundation has started using hCalendars for their upcoming conferences.
- State of Flux street art site has started adding events in hCalendar format
- The BarCamp home page lists upcoming BarCamps marked up with hCalendar and even has a "Subscribe..." link.
- 2006 W3C Technical Plenary Week has marked up the schedule and events for the week with hCalendar.
- code4lib Conference 2006 Schedule is marked up with hCalendar as announced on their blog.
- IEEE 754 Working Group - trying hCalendar for upcoming meetings.
- Elecciones 2005 Chile - the first spanish language hCalendar event found in the wild.
- Giocolando Â» No Creative Commons? No Party! is marked up with hCalendar
- CM Pros Events Calendar by Bob Doyle
- Midgard CMS Event calendar - as blogged by Henri Bergius
- Iowa Military Veterans Band Schedule - hCalendar markup added by Scott Reynen
- Upcoming events on Jason A.R. Moody Amusements Weblog posted by Jason Moody on 15 Oct 2005. His weblog in general has hCalendar events posted inside the blog posts.
- Syndicate - Tracks & Sessions
- Web 2.0 Conference schedule page marked up with hCalendar
- C'MON is a rock band from Canada, and their tour dates have been marked up by Ray Dickman with hCalendar.
- ifreebusy.com will display freebusy information using hCalendar. See this example.
- Web Essentials 05 has marked up their program schedule table with hCalendar, using the 'axis' and 'headers' attributes.
- ASDV Bonaparte is a Dutch debating society. Their events calendar has been marked up with the hCalendar conventions.
- Suw Charman has marked up her events with hCalendar.
- Blog Business Summit has published their event details marked up with hCalendar.
- Eventful.com publishes all events with hCalendar and venues with hCard. Took them only 15 minutes to implement both! Their Atom feeds also contain hCalendar/hCard.
- Upcoming.org publishes all events and lists of events with hCalendar. Took them only an hour to add hCalendar support to the site.
- The dtend values for events with no time specified (like | Burning Man are not exclusive. This causes problems when sending the microformats info to places like Google. They do correct the dtend when exporting to Outlook though. They have been made aware of the problem.
- The Laughing Squid Calendar events, e.g. this party, now supports hCalendar.
- Paul Schreiber's Sunnyvale House Concerts site publishes hCalendar event information for upcoming concerts. In addition the Past Shows page contains hCalendar events for all past concerts.
- Complex Spiral Consulting, both in the "Events" box on left side, and the separate Events page.
- Tantek's Thoughts, specifically the "Events" roll in the right-most column.
- Lesser Known Holidays, a list of holidays on suda.co.uk that can be imported via iCal and hCal so you can compare actual transformation versus intended.
- Norm Walsh's travel schedule use hCalendar as well as GRDDL.
- Policy Aware Web (PAW) Project Meeting uses hCalendar to record date-related decisions, and uses a vtodo microformat to record action items.
- The Laboratory for Dependable Distributed Systems publishes it's list of notable CfPs on dependability and security with hCalendar-todo elements.
- The Laughing Squid 10th Anniversary Party has an hcalendar page.
- SPRACI has hcalendar versions of its nightlife/clubbing/gigs/festivals listings for many cities worldwide - eg: Events in Sydney (check the API pages in the faq section of SPRACI for more info about the area/city keywords and category tags to use to get data for your city/categories
- WWF-Australia events calendars: What's on, Volunteer
- rubyholic uses hCalendar to publish calendars for ruby groups.
- University of Bath What's On uses hCalendar on individual event pages
- The Kiez is a small cinema and has published its program marked up with hCalendar
World Cup Kick-off
- World Cup KickOff where you can download and keep all the fixtures you are interested in so you will never miss a single game of the 2006 football World Cup!
- This link was on the Lifehackers site and made its way to the yahoo news site:
Mon May 22, 4:00 PM ET The World Cup, one of the world's most watched sporting events, is almost upon us. If you've ever tried to follow your favorite team through the Cup you know that it can sometimes be difficult to know when they're on. World Cup Kickoff can help.
World Cup KickOff is all you will ever need for knowing all the match details for the upcoming World Cup 2006. Whether you use your mobile phone, MS Outlook, Apple iCal or Mozilla Calendar, you can download and keep all the fixtures you are interested in so you will never miss a single game!
Next tip? We'll show you how to get up at 2 AM to watch your matches. ;0) Thanks to Tom for the tip!
Examples with some problems
If you find a problem with any example in any other section, please move it here, and note the precise problem and cite the section of the hCalendar spec that appears to be violated. If the example that was moved here is yours, and you want to improve it, see the hCalendar FAQ, or raise any queries on hCalendar issues or the mailing list, where people will be happy to help you.
- iSchool of the University of Washington - now embeds hCalendar markup on all of it's events
- Gretchen has their show schedule marked up with hCalendar
- I'd be happy if some future french Pinko-marketing meetings (CantineCamp) could require the use of hCalendar for listing some informal lunches in Paris. CantineCampParis10 is an example to include a hCalendar + hCard markup on the wiki-page. When converting to vCard, "MendÃ¨s" accent is malformed in a french outlook 2003 "address book". I've looked UTF-8 example but could not find any way to correct. Any idea ? -- xtof 01:09, 26 Mar 2007 (PDT)
- Joomla! Melbourne User Group uses hCalendar markup for listing of all events.
- No examples on cited page. Andy Mabbett 15:06, 31 Jan 2007 (PST)
- Webfeet events includes hCalendar markup in its aggregated events lists.
Possibly a case where <abbr> won't work for dtstart/dtend as there are many events listed under a single date. Webf 15:19, 15 Jan 2007 (PST)
- Malformed e.g
<span class="dtstart" title="20070120"></span>Andy Mabbett 15:41, 15 Jan 2007 (PST)
- Continue the discussion under hCalendar Issues perhaps. Webf 22:25, 15 Jan 2007 (PST)
- Theatre Studies: European Theatre at the University of Edinburgh uses hCalendar to markup news and events on the index page.
Uses "display:none" on image. Andy Mabbett 15:32, 13 Nov 2006 (PST)Removed img tag from hCard
- s'Bokle is a German music pub. Their events calendar has been marked up with hCalendar.
- improper use of rrule --RyanKing 16:04, 6 Jan 2006 (PST)
- Plan9 - Uses hCalendar to mark up events !
- socalTECH is a news and information site. Their front page event listing is marked up with hCalendar.
- dtstart/dtend implemented on span element Tom Armitage June 23, 2006
- The Multipack features a vevent for the next meeting information.
- dtstart/dtend are implemented on em element Tom Armitage June 23, 2006
- Paul Schreiber's unofficial schedule site publishes hCalendar information for upcoming hockey games at Ice Oasis
- dtstart/dtend are implemented on td element Tom Armitage June 23, 2006
- whilst Tails parses the "title" attribute for dtstart/dtend on any element (does Tails still do this?), that is incorrect. The title attribute only provides semantics for the
<abbr> element, while for elements in general like
<span>, only the contents of the element are used. This is a simplification and see hCard parsing for details. Technorati Microformats Search only looks for the title attribute on
<abbr> tags per the rules from hCard parsing which apply to hCalendar parsing as well.
If you have reviewed a New Example (and you are not the author of the example) and believe it to be valid, go ahead and move it here.
- hCalendar - specification
- hCalendar intro - plain English introduction
- hCalendar authoring - learn how to add hCalendar markup to your existing events.
- hCalendar creator (hCalendar creator feedback) - create your own hCalendar events.
- hCalendar cheatsheet - hCalendar properties
- hCalendar examples in the wild - an on-going list of websites which use hCalendars.
- hCalendar implementations - websites or tools which either generate or parse hCalendars
- hCalendar FAQ - If you have any questions about hCalendar, check here.
- hCalendar parsing - normative details of how to parse hCalendar.
- hCalendar profile - the XMDP profile for hCalendar
- hCalendar singular properties - an explanation of the list of singular properties in hCalendar.
- hCalendar tests - a wiki page with actual embedded hCalendar events to try parsing.
- hCalendar "to do" - jobs to do
- hCalendar advocacy - encourage others to use hCalendar.
- iCalendar implementations
This specification is a work in progress. As additional aspects are discussed, understood, and written, they will be added. These thoughts, issues, and questions are kept in separate pages.