Microformats Implementations and Implementors
This page lists the applications, plugins, sample code, services, tools as well as companies, developers and organizations which support microformats, along with the developers responsible for doing so that have chosen to be listed. This is only a partial list. If you know other companies implementing microformats, please add them and list their services and what specific microformats they support.
- 1 Microformats Implementations and Implementors
- 1.1 Formats
- 1.2 Applications / Plugins / Services / Tools
- 1.2.1 Andy Hume Blog
- 1.2.2 BlogMatrix
- 1.2.3 Blogmarks.net
- 1.2.4 Community Server
- 1.2.5 Citycita
- 1.2.6 Cork'd
- 1.2.7 Dreamweaver
- 1.2.8 Drupal
- 1.2.9 EVDB
- 1.2.10 Firefox
- 1.2.11 Flickr People
- 1.2.12 Flock Web Browser
- 1.2.13 Google Search
- 1.2.14 Google Creative Commons Search
- 1.2.15 hCalendar creator
- 1.2.16 hCard creator
- 1.2.17 hKit Microformats Toolkit for PHP5
- 1.2.18 hReview creator
- 1.2.19 Ice Rocket
- 1.2.20 iChat buddy list to hCards
- 1.2.21 JSCalendar
- 1.2.22 Karova
- 1.2.23 Konqueror
- 1.2.24 Laughing Squid Calendar
- 1.2.25 LiveJournal
- 1.2.26 LJFind
- 1.2.27 Microformat Base
- 1.2.28 Microformat Parser for Ruby
- 1.2.29 Nature Network Boston
- 1.2.30 Nature Protocols
- 1.2.31 Nutch
- 1.2.32 ODEO
- 1.2.33 Profiler
- 1.2.34 RFC2629.xslt
- 1.2.35 Salesforce
- 1.2.36 Sivitools
- 1.2.37 SPRACI
- 1.2.38 Sunnyvale House Concerts
- 1.2.39 Technorati Contacts Feed Service
- 1.2.40 Technorati Events Feed Service
- 1.2.41 Technorati Microformats Search
- 1.2.42 Technorati Search
- 1.2.43 Technorati Tags
- 1.2.44 Textpattern
- 1.2.45 Upcoming.org
- 1.2.46 WordPress
- 1.2.47 X2V
- 1.2.48 Yahoo Creative Commons Search
- 1.2.49 Yahoo Local
- 1.2.50 Yahoo Tech
- 1.2.51 Yahoo UK Movies
- 1.3 Companies / Developers / Organizations
- 1.3.1 Andy Hume
- 1.3.2 Assaf Arkin
- 1.3.3 Kent Brewster
- 1.3.4 Chris Casciano
- 1.3.5 Dan Cederholm
- 1.3.6 Flock
- 1.3.7 Google
- 1.3.8 Bill Humphries
- 1.3.9 David Janes
- 1.3.10 Kingsley Joseph
- 1.3.11 Laughing Squid
- 1.3.12 Drew McLellan
- 1.3.13 Chris Messina
- 1.3.14 Nature Publishing Group
- 1.3.15 Scott Reynen
- 1.3.16 SixApart
- 1.3.17 Brian Suda
- 1.3.18 Technorati
- 1.3.19 Yahoo
- 1.3.20 Scott Allan Wallick
- 1.3.21 Calvin Yu
- 1.4 Additional Sites
- 1.5 Other
Most microformat specifications have an "implementations" section, e.g.:
In addition, some microformat specifications have separate implementation pages:
Applications / Plugins / Services / Tools
This is an alphabetical listing of all applications, plugins (grouped with their app/tool), services and tools that implement microformats, along with the list of microformats that are supported, and the company and/or developers responsible for it.
As a user, the implementations listed below will automatically help you use microformats and help your data portability and interoperability with other apps and services.
Please help complete this list! If you know of additional apps/plugins/services/tools that support microformats, please add them!
Note: this section is only for listing specific implementations. The list of implementors is in the Companies / Developers / Organizations section below.
Andy Hume Blog
- Andy Hume uses the hCard format to mark-up the names and URLs of commentors on his blog.
- by Andy Hume
- BlogMatrix - user information marked as hCard, tag directories in xFolk RC1/rel="tag", enclosures are marked as rel="enclosure".
- by David Janes
- Community Server supports tagging posts with rel="tag", implements rel="nofollow" on links in comments, and allows users to create link lists using XFN.
- Cork'd supports hCard for user profiles, hReview for wine reviews, along with rel="tag" for tagging wines as announced in Pairing Wine and Microformats
- Dreamweaver Microformats Extensions (download) support authoring hCard, hCalendar, XFN, rel="tag", rel="license" as announced by Drew
Upcoming module for Drupal
- greasemonkey scripts for Firefox
Tails Firefox Extension
- Tails Firefox Extension 0.3 by Calvin Yu
- Latest Release: Tails Firefox Extension 0.3.3 (Firefox 1.4+, Flock 0.7+)
Flock Web Browser
Google Creative Commons Search
- by Ryan King
- The open source hCard creator (originally published by Tantek) is a very simple, yet illustrative, open source user interface / form / script which creates an hCard in real-time as you type in a set of contact information.
- by Tantek Çelik
hKit Microformats Toolkit for PHP5
- by Ryan King
iChat buddy list to hCards
- iChat buddy list to hCards - open source AppleScript to automatically convert one's buddy list in the MacOSX iChat AIM client into a valid XHTML 1.0 Strict list of hCards.
- by Tantek Çelik
- Karova announced support for microformats in their shopping cart library
- (anybody know what specific microformats that Karova supports?)
Laughing Squid Calendar
Microformat Parser for Ruby
Nature Network Boston
- Nature Network Boston, a social networking community for scientists, supports rel-tag, hCard for user profiles and hCalendar for marking up events across the site.
- Nature Protocols, a forum for scientists to upload and comment on protocols, supports hCard and XOXO 1.0: Extensible Open XHTML Outlines.
- Profiler works as a proxy service adding microformat profiles to documents that appear to contain microformats.
- rfc2629.xslt now attempts to generate hCard information (RFC2629 in an XML format for authoring RFCs and Internet Drafts, see example document)
Sivitols is a Java library for microformats. Currently only the xFolk RC1 standard is implemented, but additional microformat support is planned. This library is being written and maintained for a tag sharing project undertaken by Video Vertigo.
Sunnyvale House Concerts
Technorati Contacts Feed Service
Technorati Events Feed Service
- Technorati Events Feed Service is a deployment of X2V to convert hCalendar events to iCalendar (.ics) format.
Technorati Microformats Search
- Technorati Microformats Search. Search for contacts (hCard), events (hCalendar), or reviews (hReview) published on blogs and other web sites.
- Technorati Search supports and handles both Vote Links and rel="nofollow" for indicating whether a link should have any/positive/negative weighting towards the destination.
- Technorati Tags pages aggregate blog posts tagged with the rel="tag" open tagging standard, in addition to recent tagged photos and links.
- Textpattern Microformats Plugin supports authoring hCard, hCalendar, hReview, XFN, rel="tag", rel="license" in the Textpattern CMS/blogging tool
- Upcoming.org - hCalendar support in events listings and individual events.
- by Andy Baio, Leonard Lin, Gordon Luk
- WordPress supports XFN blogrolls through a very nice built-in user interface. (cf. XFN Implementations)
- by Matt Mullenweg and friends
WP Microformatted Blogroll
- Sandbox is a theme for Wordpress that uses hAtom.
- The theme is also available to accounts on the <username>.wordpress.com hosting service.
- Strangelove is a modification of the default Wordpress theme (Kubrick) with hAtom support.
- It points to the hAtom2Atom proxy service as the link for syndication feeds.
- brian suda has created several XSLT files to extract microformats from HTML. From that the X2V webservice/favelet emerged. The XSLT and favelet extracts hCard and to produces .vcf (vCard) files and hCalendar to produce .ics (iCal) files. Also in the labs is a universal XMDP validator and a site-wide search spider that recognizes 'no-follow', 'license' and other microformats so they can be used in a more semantic way when displaying search results.
Yahoo Creative Commons Search
- Yahoo Creative Commons Search - supports rel="license" specifically to search for Creative Commons licensed content.
Yahoo UK Movies
Companies / Developers / Organizations
(Considering moving all of these to an implementors page of its own).
Thanks to all of the hardworking developers and innovative companies and organizations for supporting microformats.
This is an alphabetical listing of all companies, developers (by last name) and organizations who have built and shipped at least one implementation (see above for details of each implementation) that users can use.
Please help complete this list! If you have coded support for microformats and don't see your name, add it! If your company supports microformats in its applications, add it!
Note: please add direct links to specific applications, plugins, services, or tools to the list of Applications / Plugins / Services / Tools and then link to those from their implementor with a fragment identifier link, e.g. to link to the "Cork'd" wine review community:
Similarly, for additional sites, put direct links to them in the Additional Sites section and then link to them from their implementor with a fragment identifier link.
- Extensible friends -- JSON + XFN and bookmarklet
Nature Publishing Group
- Nature Publishing Group are steadily rolling out microformats across their sites and titles. Current implementations include the following online services:
- as well the following additional site(s):
- Technorati Contacts Feed Service
- Technorati Events Feed Service
- Technorati Microformats Search
- Technorati Search
- Technorati Tags
Scott Allan Wallick
Additional static/read-only sites which enhanced their content with microformats.
Flock About Page
Iowa Military Veterans Band
Nature Home Page
Sunnyvale House Concerts
Technorati About Page
Technorati Press Page
Technorati Staff Page
University of Bath
- Web Essentials - supports hCard and hCalendar, e.g. in their list of presenters and program schedule.
Some notes on initial thoughts around Guidelines and Strategies for Implementing Microformats