opening hours brainstorming
This is part of an effort per the microformats The microformats process to research, gather examples, and brainstorm for a microformat for marking up the opening hours for a business or organization.
Brainstorming proposals should only be written up after examples and formats research has been completed per the The microformats process.
calendar of unnamed events
As suggested by jacky in #microformats on libera.chat, a calendar of unnamed events (using h-event), perhaps nested in the venue's h-card, maybe sufficient to imply/convey opening hours for those days.
- I think opening hours is worth its own type. `h-x-opening-hours` or some such thing. With a single property that is a nested h-event. Btrem (talk) 02:38, 20 February 2021 (UTC)
- My only hesistation against making a new type is that the 'specifics' are things that can be defined by a machine (when to start, when to end) and everything else is human-specific (and thus a rendering layer). Jacky 18:41, 20 Feb 2021 PST
Jacky's Idea for Rendering a Week of Hours
<aside class="h-card"> We're open <a class="h-event u-url" href="/open-days" rel="calendar" title="Open Hours">Tuesdays to Fridays from 10 AM to 9 PM</a>, closed Sundays, Saturdays and Mondays. </aside>
<aside class="h-feed"> <h2 class="p-name">Hours</h2> <p class="h-event" id="Monday">Closed on <a href="#Monday" class="u-url p-name">Mondays</a>.</p> <p class="h-event" id="Tuesday">Open on <a href="#Tuesday" class="u-url p-name">Tuesdays</a> from <time class="dt-start" datetime="09:00:00">9 AM</time> to <time class="dt-end" datetime="18:00:00">6 PM</time>.</p> </aside>
simple class proposal
<span class="operating-hours"> Tu-Sa 08:00-15:00; Sa 08:00-12:00 </span>
see it here: http://www.geodatacheck.com/p/2
Use a semicolon to separate the different days or or time ranges. Use two letter english day names. Times are local times with leading zero
This is the format as used in openstreetmap.org for a node description with opening hours. Openstreetmap has very rigid semantics, so it makes sense to follow their format. There are several issues with proposal:
- citation needed - please provide a link to where Openstreetmap defines this format on the opening hours formats page. - Tantek 18:08, 21 December 2012 (UTC)
- no real world use case. how would such a microformat help users? this should be documented in the introduction to an opening-hours effort. - Tantek 21:17, 21 February 2011 (UTC)
- proposal is 'a priori' - that is proposal has been made without documentation of real world examples per the The microformats process. please document real world Best Practices for Examples Pages of pages that would benefit from this markup so we can design the format only for their needs and no more. - Tantek 21:17, 21 February 2011 (UTC)
- did not research previous formats. we have no idea if this effort is reinventing various wheels or not. - Tantek 21:17, 21 February 2011 (UTC)
- uses new datetime formats, e.g. "Tu-Sa". Is there some way to re-use ISO8601 instead? - Tantek 21:17, 21 February 2011 (UTC)
- not international, e.g. "Tu-Sa". this could be addressed with ISO8601 usage instead. - Tantek 21:17, 21 February 2011 (UTC)