This page is for documenting real world example uses of
rel attributes, including established HTML4 and microformats values, drafts, exploratory discussions, and external examples which could potentially be used in microformats.
Purpose and Scope
- Use process first. Rather than listing any new
relattribute uses here, if there is a desire to actually rigorously develop the functionality behind such
relattributes into a microformat, then the process should be followed with that functionality in mind, rather than a paticular
- Reference URLs to external uses with potential. It may not be clear what the value is of documenting external
relexamples outside the attempt to develop any particular microformat. However, it seems reasonable to have a placeholder for such documentation as a reference of sorts to existing real world example uses to be considered unless it proves counter-productive or attempts to bypass the process. Examples (and any documentation thereof, including implementations) which have been considered and rejected should be moved to the rejected-formats page since they no longer could "potentially" be used in microformats.
- Proposing rel attributes is inappropriate. Any "proposed rel attributes" would very much be bypassing the process and thus are discouraged. Pursue the process for development of a solution to the problem area, rather than leaping to the specific technical solution of using a rel attribute value.
The HTML4.01 spec defines several link types which are values that can be used in
rel (and sometimes
Several microformats use
rel values. These are a useful place to start to understand good uses of
In addition, though it uses
rev instead of
rel, vote-links is listed here for completeness.
- vote-links - uses
The following rel values are exploratory discussions / microformats in development, possibly even just brainstorming, and thus are experimental at best. Please see their pages for details, and help advance them per the process.
- rel-cite from distributed-conversation-brainstorming
- rel-group and rel-member from group-brainstorming
- rel-profile from xmdp-brainstorming
Other examples found in the wild
Links to documentation or specifications for these would be appreciated!
- Tom Watson (UK MP's blog); uses WordPress
<link rel='archives' [...]>
<link rel='EditURI' [...]>
<link rel='pingback' [...]>
See rejected-formats for examples that have been rejected.