species-examples-quantitative: Difference between revisions
Jump to navigation Jump to search
m (Reverted edit of Gazza, changed back to last version by AndyMabbett)
|Line 148:||Line 148:|
Revision as of 22:54, 1 May 2007
Species Examples (Quantitative )
Quantitative examples of common and scientific names of living things, which could be marked up with a "species" (or similar) microformat.
- Note: the original name of the proposed microformat, "species", is likely to change, probably to "biota" or "taxon". The former has been retained here, to avoid having to make many repetitive and perhaps redundant edits
If you find a link which is no longer working, please replace it with a suitable alternative, rather than simply deleting it. Thank you.
For earlier evidence of quantitative use of species' and other taxonomic names, see  and . Furthermore:
- All species articles, e.g. Little Ringed Plover (see above)
- All genera articles, e.g. Charadrius (Plover) (e.g 200 pages, for birds alone)
- All higher classes, e.g. Charadriidae
- All regional lists, e.g. List of British birds
- All dedicatees, e.g. Alexander Wilson
- All authorities, e.g. Giovanni Antonio Scopoli
- All images of living things, e.g. Charadrius dubius 4 (Marek Szczepanek).jpg
- Many reserves, lakes, and other places of interest, e.g. Belvide
- Many biological authors and illustrators, e.g. John Audubon; Gilbert White
- Random articles on other topics, e.g. Balancing lake}
- Wines. E/g/ Cabernet Sauvignon
- All the above, again, for each alternative language e.g. Welsh; French; Chinese
- Wikimedia Commons
- All species indexes, e.g. Charadrius dubius
- Each individual image, e.g. Charadrius dubius 1 (Marek Szczepanek).jpg
- Each family list Charadriidae
- All species articles, e.g. American Golden Plover
- All family articles, e.g. Plover
- Many of the above, in other langauges e.g. Italian; Russian
- Every speices, e.g. Charadrius dubius
- Every genus, e.g. Charadrius
- Every sub-family, e.g. Charadriinae
- Every family, e.g. Charadriidae
- and so on, for every other rank
- Every image (e.g. Charadrius hiaticula He.jpg
- All flowering plants of North-western Europe, (e.g Vinca minor), genus (Vinca)families (Apocynaceae), etc.
- Google finds about 37,600,000 for "E coli".
- Google finds about 14,200,000 for "Homo sapiens"
- Google finds about 1,260,000 for ""Homo erectus"
- Google finds about 1,380,000 for "Clostridium difficile".
- Google finds about 841,000 for "Passer domesticus".
- Google finds about 602,000 for "Acer palmatum"
- At the time of writing, every single one of the first 20 Google results for "Noctule Bat" also includes the scientific name Nyctalus noctula.
- A Google search for "checklist NEAR species" finds about 1,090,000 - each checklist includes many species e.g. , , 
- A Google search for "species identification sheet" finds about 13,400 - e.g. 
- ARKive - 2000 species ("It is ARKive's current aim to compile audio-visual records, where such media exists, for the 15,000-plus species currently threatened with extinction, according to the World Conservation Union's (IUCN) Red List of Threatened Species.")
- Zip Code Zoo 875,712 plants and 932,168 animals ... 79,438 1,537 sound recordings, 23,704,023 field observations (from 28,236 data sets and 1,326 data providers which show latitude and longitude, from which they have generated 218,283 State Maps, 715,397 Country Maps, 156,248 Google maps showing up to 200 sightings each, and 18,177 Google Earth maps showing all sightings). Uses full taxonomies e.g. Eastern Gray Squirrel, Sciurus carolinensis
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility 983,000 scientific names and 253,000 common names . Uses full taxonomies, e.g Pterothrissus cristatus. Has 118,932,333 individual records, e.g. Pterothrissus cristatus at Lee-on-the-Solent on 2004-07-22
- Royal Horticultural Society - RHS Plant Finder - 70,000 plants
- List of Prokaryotic Names (formerly List of Bacterial Names) - 2,032 *files*; 10,268 published names (to 2006-09-07)
- UK National Biodiversity Network Gateway - 20 million+ species records
- Species 2000 - 450,000 species
- BioImages - Virtual Fieldguide - 53,000 images depicting 4,600 species (see Wiki comments from site owner)
- Animal Diversity Web - "Thousands of species accounts [plus] descriptions of levels of organization above the species level, especially phyla, classes, and in some cases, orders and families. Hundreds of hyperlinked pages and images illustrate the traits and general biology of these groups"
- NameBank is a repository of millions of recorded biological names and facts that link those names together.
- ClassificationBank stores multiple classifications and taxonomic concepts that are the result of expert opinions. It extends the functionality of NameBank.
- Over 500,000 common names are catalogued.
- BirdLife International - all birds of the world (~10,000)
- Bug Guide - all insects, spiders, and allies, of the USA and Canada (most with more than one page).
- BirdForum Birds Database - currently >5,000, working towards all 10,000+, species.
- Discover Life - "contains 306,553 species. The Polistes Foundation and its scientific partners plan to add high-quality identification guides, maps, images, and text for a million species by 2012. [...] Each month Discover Life serves approximately 3 million pages and images to 70,000 IP addresses"
- rECOrd (the Local Biological Records Centre serving the Cheshire region of England) - 1.6 million species records available online for the public to search and map
- Canadian Centre for DNA Barcoding multiple sites, covering over 11,000 species (134,990 records; target 55,000+ species.
- Barcode of Life Data Systems "BOLD-ECS provides web developers and bioinformaticians the ability to build tools and workflows that can be integrated with the BOLD framework. We welcome the addition of new analytical modules."
- Fiji Arthropod Survey - (insects, arachnids, crustaceans, and others) > 7,000 Families, Genera and Species
- Simile Dinosaur Timeline all dinosaurs genus - potential hCalendar mash-up.
- Fishbase 29,600 species, 222,400 common names, e.g. Chinese barb, Puntius semifasciolatus and [all its other common names].
- Mammal Species of the World - ~8,000 species (e.g. Eurasian Badger, Meles meles, plus higher-level ranks (e.g. Order Insectivora, Family Erinaceidae, etc.).
- Amphibian Species of the World - >6,000 species (e.g. Cochranella daidalea ), plus higher-level ranks (e.g. Family Centrolenidae, etc.).
- List of Prokaryotic (Bacterial) names with Standing in Nomenclature - 2,212 names of genera, species or subspecies (e.g. A-C), and 124 names of higher taxa (]) (number cited seems on low side; note 856 additions in 2006).
- galleries for "bird" = 929
- galleries for "insect" = 194
- e.g. Foto Fountain
- galleries for "wildlife" = 458
- Herbaria United (part of The website of the Botanical Collection Managers Group (BCMG), a specialist group of the Linnean Society of London) - "The UK has the world's largest and oldest collections of herbarium specimens held in trust by museums and universities. A new project is just getting underway to put all this online."
- Update (2007-02-28) - work has started, and the first pages are available to view.
- iSpecies - a species search engine (e.g. search for "Bullfinch", search for "Charadrius dubius"
- Andy Mabbett (proponent)
- Malcolm Storey (per e-mail)
- Charles Roper, Sussex Biodiversity Record Centre (proponent)
- quantitative evidence
- brainstorming (includes the straw man- or draft standard)