Blog Archive for November, 2008

Microformats Wiki 2.0 is Live!

Thank you to everyone for being patient whilst I ran the MediaWiki upgrade this evening. It took a little longer than hoped thanks to very slow database migration scripts, but the microformats wiki is now live again, and back to full read-write access.

There’s a lot to say about the process of the redesign, which I’ll try to capture at a later date on my personal blog, since it’s been an interesting project to work through. But, For a more immediate summary of what’s been changed and enhanced (plus some gotcha bug-fixes made to MediaWiki itself), check out the Wiki 2.0 page on the wiki itself.

For the casual observer, you can get an idea of the redesign by visiting and comparing the the Wiki front page, the hCard specification and the hAtom draft specification.

We’ve also got space set aside on the wiki to file bug reports (wiki-2-issues), and feedback is welcome in the comments here as well as on the microformats-discuss mailing list.

The aim, as always, is that improvements like this to our tools will help us to more effectively work with and build microformats; I very much hope you like the changes.

Microformats.org Wiki Upgrade

Updated: 17th November, 00:31 (GMT-8).

As announced on the -discuss mailing list earlier this week, the microformats wiki is due a big upgrade. That’s going to be happening over the next few hours, so the wiki will be read-only for a (hopefully short) while whilst backups are taken and upgrade scripts run.

Afterward, the wiki will be updated to MediaWiki 1.13, be running some new extensions to improve authoring and reading and be updated to resemble the still-gorgeous microformats.org look and feel. This is as good a time as any to thank Dan Cederholm for the great work he did on the original theme way back when we launched.

This post will be updated with progress. Thank you for your patience.

Update 1: The wiki is now in read-only mode, and the database backed up and duplicated.

Update 2: We’re now running MediaWiki’s update script on the mirrored database. The microformats wiki is, you’ll be unsurprised to learn, rather large, and we’re skipping ahead by a large number of MediaWiki revisions, so there’s a lot to be altered. For your amusement, the script output currently reads “Deleting old default messages (this may take a long time!)…”. Rarely a truer word spoken.

Update 3: And we are live. Over the next hour or so you’ll see things move around a little as I go through and update some default page settings and start fitting things into our new categories system. I’ll also be added a new page explaining the changes I’ve made in more detail, introducing you to the new mark-up we support and, once those instructions are in place, providing a place that you can report issues and provider feedback. Thanks very much for bearing with us during this update!