[Microformats-dev] in progress draft of hcard-parsing

Bud Gibson bud at thecommunityengine.com
Mon Aug 8 11:26:50 PDT 2005

My observation is that the CSS selector method is not quite up to the
task.  For instance, you cannot use CSS selectors to select reltag
(CSS selectors do not select on the rel attribute).  DOM selectors,
however, will do the trick, and there are a number of implementations
for them including XPath and ECMA script's DOM specification.

There are issues with DOM-based methods, in particular a flattening
of the DOM tree that occurs in some implementations.  There are real
cases where this can hurt you, but I will make those the subject of
another post.

Bud