[Microformats-dev] in progress draft of hcard-parsing

Ryan King ryan at technorati.com
Mon Aug 8 12:01:05 PDT 2005

On Aug 8, 2005, at 11:26 AM, Bud Gibson wrote:

> My observation is that the CSS selector method is not quite up to
> the task.  For instance, you cannot use CSS selectors to select
> reltag (CSS selectors do not select on the rel attribute).

Um, yes they do. For example, I use this on my blog to put *'s after
rel=met links:

a[rel~="met"]:after { content:"*" }

[see the last line of http://theryanking.com/blog/wp-content/themes/
mykubrick/style.css]

So, for rel tag you'd use

a[rel~="tag"]

to select it.

> DOM selectors, however, will do the trick, and there are a number
> of implementations for them including XPath and ECMA script's DOM
> specification.
>
> There are issues with DOM-based methods, in particular a flattening
> of the DOM tree that occurs in some implementations.  There are
> real cases where this can hurt you, but I will make those the
> subject of another post.

Of course this methods will all work, but CSS selectors seem to but
much more closely related to the markup, which, for me, makes them an
easier interface.

-ryan