[uf-dev] include-pattern testing

Brian Suda brian.suda at gmail.com
Sun Apr 30 11:59:37 PDT 2006

We would have to re-write abit of information on the include pattern
page along with an example.

The include pattern mentions that it 'replaces' the <object> element.
[Thus a microformat parser would treat the above as follows, with the
object include completely replaced by the subtree that it references:]

it would be better to say something like the children of the reference
object are appended as children of the include object.

The one reason (which i can't create a strong example for at the
moment) would the following:

<object data="#ref" class="include url" type="text/html"/>

if we were to out-right replace the object with the referenced code,
we'd loose the class="url". If we change the rule slightly to say
'children' then it would actually become something like:

<object data="#ref" class="include url" type="text/html">
</object>

This keeps things nested and a definite hierarchy of classes.

I would also say that the include 'appends' the data because this
would actually be valid HTML (and microformats)

    <object data="#ref" class="include" type="text/html">
    </object>

which, with 'append' would become:

    <object data="#ref" class="include" type="text/html">
    </object>

but with 'replace' we'd loose the class="honorific-prefix"

-brian

[1] - http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/struct/objects.html

--
brian suda