[uf-dev] Re: [uf-discuss] include-pattern semantics

Brian Suda brian.suda at gmail.com
Tue Oct 17 06:13:08 PDT 2006

This is/has been an outstanding issue for some time. There are a few
examples in the Test suite, but no one is sure if the tests are
correct. Both Tails and X2V interpert the spec differently (so far no
one has really complianed and made it an issue).

I'm CC'ing the -dev list because in the archives there, there have
been a few discussions on the points[1]

[1] - http://microformats.org/discuss/mail/microformats-dev/2006-September/000143.html

On 10/17/06, Ciaran McNulty <mail at ciaranmcnulty.com> wrote:
> When the include-pattern[1] is used, the spec says that "'include' on
> the object element to indicate that that object refers to a subtree
> which should be included in its place' [2].
>
> What I'm interested in is what happens to any additional classes that
> are applied to the inclusion element (i.e. the A or OBJECT).
>
> My instinct when marking up an entry in hAtom, for example, would be
> to use something like the following:
> <a class="include author" href="#vcard-elsewhere" />
>
> The spec and examples don't make it clear whether the included element
> will 'inherit' the @class="author" from the A, or whether it would be
> ignored.
>
> Does anyone with an existing implementation or parser have an opinion
> about whether this sort of markup is correct?  If not, what would be
> the correct markup, or what would be the behaviour of existing parsers
> when presented with something like the above?
>
> Whatever the answer, I think it'd be a good idea to update / add to
> the examples to cover this case - I'd be happy to do so myself once I
> know what the correct answer is.
>
> Cheers,
>
> -Ciaran McNulty
>
>   [1] http://microformats.org/wiki/include-pattern