[uf-dev] RE: XBRL, XHTML, Microformats and context-aware computing

ryan ryan at theryanking.com
Mon Dec 17 15:13:56 PST 2007

On Dec 17, 2007, at 2:33 PM, Diane Mueller wrote:
> Perhaps a bit more clarification is need:
>
> We're not talking about creating invalid documents, just documents
> which
> will not validate against the core XHTML schemas.

This seems like a contradiction to me.

> There are accepted ways of extending the XHTML namespace, but if we
> do, we
> know that we must recognize that we no longer have a valid core XHTML
> document.

This makes it sound like you're doing something very different than
microformats. Microformats build on existing web technologies in ways
that are compatible with existing user agents (like browsers).

> Another question to add to the list:
>
> Has anyone attempted to use Microformats to encode something more
> complex
> like MathML and SVG?

These are far outside the bounds of microformats. Also, you don't
need microformats in order to use these XML dialects in XHTML. [1]

-ryan

1. Some mozilla-centric examples:
    http://www.mozilla.org/projects/mathml/start.xhtml
    http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/SVG_In_HTML_Introduction