[uf-dev] Re: [uf-new] Microformats parsing, in general (was: hAudio final draft)

Scott Reynen scott at randomchaos.com
Thu Jun 21 06:14:26 PDT 2007

On Jun 19, 2007, at 5:42 PM, Tantek Çelik wrote:

> It's on -dev because this is first and foremost a discussion or
> parsing,

I disagree.  I think the problem is that the markup semantics are
undefined, which is no more a parsing issue than a publishing issue.

> because we are focusing on the discussion of the problem, rather
> than the
> discussion of the solution.

I agree we should focus first on the problem, but I think the problem
is that nobody knows what the markup means when we publish embedded
microformats.  And what it means should not be determined by how it's
parsed; rather, how it's parsed should be determined by what it means.

> It's a subtle distinction but an important one,
> which often gets forgotten (especially with typical new proposals with
> microformats which seem to almost always prematurely jump to solution
> discussions before problems are properly documented - especially on
> the
> wiki).

I agree, but the problem here is conflicting assumptions about what
something that's already published actually means, so describing
those assumptions (which sound a lot like proposed solutions) is part
of documenting the problem.

> Which, I would say, at this point, if you want more time/focus/
> energy spent
> solving those problem(s), start to document URLs on the wiki to
> real world
> examples that demonstrate the problem.  Enough with the theory in
> email.

Um, ok.

http://microformats.org/wiki/mfo-examples#hCard_in_hCalendar

But is theory in the wiki any better?  I'm hesitant to rewrite that
entire page, but other than the few examples I recently added, it's
pretty much all theory right now.

Peace,
Scott