[uf-dev] JavaScript authoring tools initiative

Drew McLellan drew.mclellan at gmail.com
Mon Jul 6 14:00:31 PDT 2009

Hi all

Quite some time back, I authored a set of Dreamweaver extensions
(which are mostly JavaScript with HTML/CSS front end) for doing some
basic microformats authoring. They were well received, although they
could use a refresh before too long.

Yesterday, Brian Suda pinged me with the idea of porting the
functionality to TinyMCE plugins. TinyMCE is a WYSIWYG editor that can
be extended with JavaScript w/ HTML/CSS front ends. From recent
experience working with WYSIWYG editors for another project, it seems
a lot of these editors work the same way.

The APIs are going to be different between all these uses, but so much
of the hard work with user interfaces and core JavaScript is going to
be shared.

I figured it might be a good idea to formally put together an initiative to:

a) develop some core JavaScript routines for gathering and publishing
microformats
b) design and build out good quality user interfaces to front the code
c) look at actually implementing that as plugins for common tools

I could seed the project with the DW extensions I've already written
and we could go from there.

Is anyone working on anything like this at the moment?

If I were to get the ball rolling, would anyone be interested in
helping out? We'd need a mix of code and UX design skills.

drew.

--
Drew McLellan
http://allinthehead.com/