[uf-dev] JavaScript authoring tools initiative

Brian Suda brian.suda at gmail.com
Mon Jul 6 14:32:34 PDT 2009

On Mon, Jul 6, 2009 at 9:00 PM, Drew McLellan<drew.mclellan at gmail.com> wrote:
> Yesterday, Brian Suda pinged me with the idea of porting the
> functionality to TinyMCE plugins. TinyMCE is a WYSIWYG editor that can
> be extended with JavaScript w/ HTML/CSS front ends.

--- I would be willing to help out with the TinyMCE code. I have
written a few plugins in the past, it would be good to dig back into
this.

> I figured it might be a good idea to formally put together an initiative to:
>
> a) develop some core JavaScript routines for gathering and publishing
> microformats
> b) design and build out good quality user interfaces to front the code
> c) look at actually implementing that as plugins for common tools

--- I envision, just like a customer highlights text and pushes the
"B" button to make it bold and the editor adds the HTML, they would
highlight text and push the "CC" button to add a rel-licenses and the
plugin would add the needed HTML mark-up. Obviously, for compound
microformats there could need to be other ways of collecting the data,
but as plugins for popular WYSIWYG editors it would make authoring
even easier for various formats. Count me onboard!

> Is anyone working on anything like this at the moment?

--- as well, what pitfalls are there? To add a plugin to TinyMCE you
need to put it in some folders that the average joe might not have
access too. What other limitations might there be and how do we
overcome them?

-brian

--
brian suda