[microformats-discuss] Re: Blog post format challenge - content vs summary

David Janes -- BlogMatrix davidjanes at blogmatrix.com
Sun Aug 14 02:04:15 PDT 2005

And blogger uses "post" as well, but identifies subelements as
"post-title"; Movable Type, at least in my personal blog identifies it
as "blogbody" BUT typepad identifies it as "entry"! And there's a lot of
MovableType and typepress blogs out there.

I'm 99% percent a "stand on the shoulders of giants" type of guy, which
leads me to the following criteria for nomenclature:

- many of the microformats on microformats.org have unique names that
identify the enclosing element that are unlikely to _accidently_ appear
in XHTML (enclosed elements do not need the prefix)
- many of the microformats use a single letter prefix in front of a more
specific word
- many of the microformats on microformats.org build upon well-specified
external standards that a lot of smart people put a lot of work into
(you folks discussing bibliographies should note this too ... librarians
have a lot of time on their hands and have been doing it for centuries!)

These criteria led me to:
- Atom for for naming criteria -- trust me when I say we don't want to
start redebating the decisions these people laboured over for the couple
of years
- "x" as the prefix on "entry" (following "xfolk"); "hentry" [thanks
Lucas Gonze] or "aentry" make a lot of sense also, or perhaps something
entirely different may suffice also

The problem with "post" and "entry" is that there would be a lot of
blogs the _appear_ to be compliant with the microformat but actually aren't!

Regards, etc...
David
http://www.blogmatrix.com