[microformats-discuss] Re: Blog post format challenge - content vs summary

Tantek Ç elik tantek at cs.stanford.edu
Sun Aug 14 12:27:41 PDT 2005

On 8/14/05 2:04 AM, "David Janes -- BlogMatrix" <davidjanes at blogmatrix.com>
wrote:

> And blogger uses "post" as well, but identifies subelements as
> "post-title"; Movable Type, at least in my personal blog identifies it
> as "blogbody" BUT typepad identifies it as "entry"! And there's a lot of
> MovableType and typepress blogs out there.

David, excellent background research.

PLEASE add such info to the wiki page so we don't lose it in the depths of
email archives.

 http://microformats.org/wiki/blog-post-formats

If you're not sure where to add it on the page, add it where you think it
best makes sense, and other folks will help out with reorganizing.

> I'm 99% percent a "stand on the shoulders of giants" type of guy,

Then you found the right party. Welcome.  ;)

> which leads me to the following criteria for nomenclature:
>
> - many of the microformats on microformats.org have unique names that
> identify the enclosing element that are unlikely to _accidently_ appear
> in XHTML (enclosed elements do not need the prefix)

Precisely.  I've discussed this a bit in the hcard-parsing document:

 http://microformats.org/wiki/hcard-parsing#root_class_name

> - many of the microformats use a single letter prefix in front of a more
> specific word

For now, a coincidence to be sure, and due mostly to the mimicking that
pattern from vCard and iCalendar (and vCalendar before it). I don't see this
as a requirement as much as re-using an existing convention.

> - many of the microformats on microformats.org build upon well-specified
> external standards that a lot of smart people put a lot of work into
> (you folks discussing bibliographies should note this too ... librarians
> have a lot of time on their hands and have been doing it for centuries!)

Yes, absolutely, that's principle number four:

* reuse building blocks from widely adopted standards

> These criteria led me to:
> - Atom for for naming criteria -- trust me when I say we don't want to
> start redebating the decisions these people laboured over for the couple
> of years

Indeed.

Why not add this to the wiki page on blog-post-formats also?

 http://microformats.org/wiki/blog-post-formats

> - "x" as the prefix on "entry" (following "xfolk"); "hentry" [thanks
> Lucas Gonze] or "aentry" make a lot of sense also, or perhaps something
> entirely different may suffice also
>
> The problem with "post" and "entry" is that there would be a lot of
> blogs the _appear_ to be compliant with the microformat but actually aren't!

Excellent analysis.  Please capture these experimental thoughts on a
blog-post-brainstorming wiki page:

 http://microformats.org/wiki/blog-post-brainstorming

Thanks,

Tantek