[microformats-discuss] Evaulating RSS per the microformats principles.

Alf Eaton alf at hubmed.org
Sun Aug 14 15:03:33 PDT 2005

On 14 Aug 2005, at 21:51, Andreas Haugstrup wrote:

> On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 21:10:39 +0200, Michal Migurski
> <mike at stamen.com> wrote:
>

>> There are no technical reasons that RSS couldn't be used to store
>> archives or contain more than the latest entries, only social
>> ones. Interestingly, using software such as Blosxom gives you this
>> RSS archiving for free, e.g. http://mike.teczno.com/notes/2005/07/
>> index.rss vs. http://mike.teczno.com/notes/2005/07/. Do other
>> blogging programs do this? My experience with MT or WP has been
>> minimal.
>>

> But I can't use that RSS archive for anything. I can't read it (or
> I'll have to add it to a subscription list to read it just once). I
> can't link to it. For it to be usable as an archive format RSS
> readers will have to reinvent every aspect of the webbrowser - with
> an added RSS wrapper. That's more tha a little silly.

There's already an HTML version for you to read in your browser [1],
but the XML version of a single post (RSS in this case [2]) is still
a great place to store metadata - and of course you can link to it
(and so can the HTML page, and vice versa). Remember Ken MacLeod's
"Is a feed the right place for your data?" [3]: Blosxom can make
different versions of each post easily, based on templates, and so
can Movable Type - RDF for example [4]. Once the Atom Publishing
Protocol is in place, each post will have a version in Atom too.

[1] http://mike.teczno.com/notes/podcasting.html
[2] http://mike.teczno.com/notes/podcasting.rss
[3] http://bitsko.slc.ut.us/blog/feed-data.html
[4] http://hublog.hubmed.org/archives/001142.html