[microformats-discuss] Evaulating RSS per the microformats principles.

Alf Eaton alf at hubmed.org
Sun Aug 14 15:50:19 PDT 2005

On 15 Aug 2005, at 00:41, Ryan King wrote:

> On Aug 14, 2005, at 3:03 PM, Alf Eaton wrote:
>
>> On 14 Aug 2005, at 21:51, Andreas Haugstrup wrote:

>>> But I can't use that RSS archive for anything. I can't read it
>>> (or I'll have to add it to a subscription list to read it just
>>> once). I can't link to it. For it to be usable as an archive
>>> format RSS readers will have to reinvent every aspect of the
>>> webbrowser - with an added RSS wrapper. That's more tha a little
>>> silly.
>>>

>> There's already an HTML version for you to read in your browser
>> [1], but the XML version of a single post (RSS in this case [2])
>> is still a great place to store metadata
>>

> Really? A better place than in HTML?

I'm beginning to think that Andreas and yourself might be making an
either/or argument here, which I don't think anyone was suggesting.
Like I said in a slightly earlier message, both formats are good
places for storing metadata, depending on your circumstances and how
you have your data stored in the first place. My point was that RSS/
Atom/RDF are not necessarily *bad* places for storing data,
especially when you're talking about a format specific to weblog posts.

>> - and of course you can link to it (and so can the HTML page, and
>> vice versa).
>>

> But can you view it in your browser? Can it be styled in your browser?

Yes.

>> Remember Ken MacLeod's "Is a feed the right place for your
>> data?" [3]: Blosxom can make different versions of each post
>> easily, based on templates, and so can Movable Type - RDF for
>> example [4]. Once the Atom Publishing Protocol is in place, each
>> post will have a version in Atom too.
>>

> Right, and they can also produce (X)HTML.

Absolutely (and whatever format comes next, too).

alf.