[microformats-discuss] Evaulating RSS per the microformats principles.

Michal Migurski mike at stamen.com
Sun Aug 14 18:56:28 PDT 2005

>> There's already an HTML version for you to read in your browser
>> [1], but the XML version of a single post (RSS in this case [2])
>> is still a great place to store metadata
>
> Really? A better place than in HTML?

Maybe, maybe not - it depends. There's a *ton* of momentum behind
serializing periodic content into RSS/Atom/whatever, from podcasts to
native OS-level support (see below), so arguing for yet another blog
post standard feels somewhat futile to me.

HOWEVER, I did mention earlier that what was definitely missing from
blogs in general was any sort of conversation semantics. I don't see
a mention of this on blog-post-brainstorming[1] or blog-description-
format[2], but this seems like a necessity for blog-based, inter-site
conversation.

[1] http://microformats.org/wiki/blog-post-brainstorming
[2] http://microformats.org/wiki/blog-description-format

Mail & news both have the In-Reply-To header, whose value looks like
an address. Can a blog post microformat be as simple as this?

     <h3 class="title">title of post</h3>
Doe muses</a> about a topic of interest. I however vehemently
disagree, for many reasons.
link">permanent link</a>.

>> - and of course you can link to it (and so can the HTML page, and
>> vice versa).
>
> But can you view it in your browser? Can it be styled in your browser?

Sort of.

     Safari's RSS view:
     http://www.winsupersite.com/images/reviews/tiger_09.jpg

     IE7's version of same: