[microformats-discuss] re: Microformat for timestamp of updated content

Tantek Ç elik tantek at cs.stanford.edu
Fri Aug 19 08:04:11 PDT 2005

On 8/19/05 3:23 AM, "David Janes -- BlogMatrix" <davidjanes at blogmatrix.com>
wrote:

> Just out of curiosity -- in places where I'm seeing <abbr
> title="FORMAL-VALUE">INFORMAL-VALUE</abbr>, would we also
> accept/generate using the <span> or some other HTML element.

Yes.  See http://microformats.org/wiki/hcard-parsing , which is specific to
hcard, but is the place where I'm capturing a lot of microformats parsing
specifics to begin with (using a concrete example is usually the best way to
introduce more abstract concepts/algorithms).

> I.e. I'm
> wondering why <abbr> is always being used when "title" is available on
> all HTML elements [1].
>
> [1] http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/sgml/dtd.html#coreattrs

Because "title" should *only* be used for microformat data on <abbr>
elements, and <abbr> elements should *only* be used when the "normal" (i.e.
default human readable) content in the element in unsuitable.

We want to minimize <abbr title=""> usage, because it makes the content a
little less visible.  The only reason we use it at all is to comply with the
human friendly principle while still making those values parsable for
machines.

Thanks,

Tantek