[microformats-discuss] hreview - aggregation

Ryan King ryan at technorati.com
Sun Aug 28 14:36:09 PDT 2005

On Aug 27, 2005, at 4:25 PM, Stephen Downes wrote:

> Hiya,
>
> I have been reviewing the hreview specification http://
> microformats.org/wiki/hreview which on the whole looks pretty solid.

Great.

> I am wondering whether people have considered the expression of
> aggregated reviews and/or ratings.

I don't think that's been discussed yet. Honestly, just getting
adoption of hreview'ed individual reviews is enough for now (IMHO).

> In such a case, the ratings values themselves would be collected
> and averaged, presented as a single value.

Granted, people will always want to present summaries of individual
reviews. However, I'm not sure that its important that this data be
machine consumable. At least, I wouldn't put it as a high priority.
So long as the individual reviews are available for consumption, the
summary data is redundant. A UA could just do the aggregation
themselves.

Having said that, this issue will probably come up again and we'll
probably need to address it sometime in the future. So perhaps you
could add these ideas to http://microformats.org/wiki/hreview-
brainstorming so that they don't get lost.

thanks,
ryan