[uf-discuss] is there microformat / uri scheme for referncingbook parts (content)? (Bible ref's)

Simon Kittle si at kittle.co.uk
Thu Dec 1 15:59:31 PST 2005

> I know what you are asking for, but there is a bigger problem
> with Biblical text. It is NOT well formed[1]. You can not
> make an XML representation of a bible verse. There are
> references that span two paragraphs, therefore it is not
> possible todo something like:
>
> This is not well-formed, but very common.

Yeah, I realise that.  I suppose I should clarify I am looking specifically
for a way to markup the references, as opposed to the full on verses /
passages.

But just as a side note there are actually several projects who are
overcoming the issues you talk about (or who've overcome them) [1] example:
[2]

> That said, there is a citation format in the works[2], this
> will allow for the ability to cite page, etc. Bible chapter,
> paragraph, verse were not in the original idea, but could
> make there way in depending on other formats.

Okay, I will take a look at the cite pages.

> Have you looked into how other formats, Dublin Core, etc. handle this?
> or can/do they?

Had a (very) brief look and couldn't find anything, that site's a maze!
Isn't most DC metadata (when embedded in an HTML document) included in the
META tags?  I have to admit I know very little about it but it could be
worth some further research.

- simon

[1] - http://www.bibletechnologies.net/
[2] - http://www.bibletechnologies.net/201.dsp#body.1_div.4

ps: Is it just me that's had to create refences as above by hand?  Or do
some people have clever email clients which do it for them?