[uf-discuss] hAtom draft

Ryan King ryan at technorati.com
Tue Dec 20 12:05:00 PST 2005

On Dec 20, 2005, at 7:44 AM, Benjamin Carlyle wrote:

> David,
>
> On Wed, 2005-11-23 at 04:02 -0500, David Janes -- BlogMatrix wrote:
>> Have at it:
>> http://microformats.org/wiki/hatom
>
> I'm currently doing some work based on Luke Arno's hAtom2Atom.xsl
> to get
> my feed reader of choice (liferea) to parse hAtom sites. I currently
> have the xsl scraping the html page for each entry in order to fill
> out
> author details when they are not present in the entry itself. I first
> search the entry proximity, then start back at xpath "/" if none are
> found. This is in line with the Entry Author heading in the
> microformat[1] which states:
> "if an Entry has 0 Entry Athor elements, the "logical Entry Author" is
> assumed to be the author of the XHTML page"
>
> Looking at the required feed[2] and entry[3] elements from
> atomenabled.org it seems that only "id", "title", and "updated" are
> required in each. Is this a mismatch with the standard, or is my
> understanding of the hAtom spec mismatched?

I think the point of this is that in html we have a way of
determining an author, without the help of hAtom (ie, <address> +
hcard).

> Reading the information from
> that atomenabled.org I'm inclined to write the parser as only placing
> author and contributor elements in an entry when they appear in the
> hAtom html within an entry. If author and contributor fields were only
> to be found at the feed level I would only repeat them there in the
> atom
> output. Is my inclination reasonable? That would make any atom feed
> reader responsible for making the association between a feed with a
> particular author an each entry having a particular author rather than
> the transform...

I'm not sure I follow what you're saying here.

Are you saying that when you transform to Atom, you're inclined to
replicate the author information on every entry?

-rk
--
Ryan King
ryan at technorati.com