[uf-discuss] hAtom draft

Benjamin Carlyle benjamincarlyle at optusnet.com.au
Tue Dec 20 07:44:38 PST 2005

David,

On Wed, 2005-11-23 at 04:02 -0500, David Janes -- BlogMatrix wrote:
> Have at it:
> http://microformats.org/wiki/hatom

I'm currently doing some work based on Luke Arno's hAtom2Atom.xsl to get
my feed reader of choice (liferea) to parse hAtom sites. I currently
have the xsl scraping the html page for each entry in order to fill out
author details when they are not present in the entry itself. I first
search the entry proximity, then start back at xpath "/" if none are
found. This is in line with the Entry Author heading in the
microformat[1] which states:
"if an Entry has 0 Entry Athor elements, the "logical Entry Author" is
assumed to be the author of the XHTML page"

Looking at the required feed[2] and entry[3] elements from
atomenabled.org it seems that only "id", "title", and "updated" are
required in each. Is this a mismatch with the standard, or is my
understanding of the hAtom spec mismatched? Reading the information from
that atomenabled.org I'm inclined to write the parser as only placing
author and contributor elements in an entry when they appear in the
hAtom html within an entry. If author and contributor fields were only
to be found at the feed level I would only repeat them there in the atom
output. Is my inclination reasonable? That would make any atom feed
reader responsible for making the association between a feed with a
particular author an each entry having a particular author rather than
the transform...

--
Benjamin Carlyle <benjamincarlyle at optusnet.com.au>
[1] http://microformats.org/wiki/hatom#Entry_Author